Monday, November 26, 2012

Why Act?



We were asked this question after our first class at Art's Sake Acting Studios. It's seems simple enough of a question to answer, but there is a lot hanging on the answer. Why? Why would anyone want to subject themselves to the scrutiny, frustration, and constant disappointment of pursuing an acting career? It's definitely not financially rewarding, at least not for the vast majority. Auditions can be absolutely humiliating. The nerves, the stress, the eye-rolls... the hyper awareness of physical flaws. It can all really get to you. And it does really get to me. Which is why it is important to step back and remember why I wanted to do this in the first place.  And then I think back to when I was a kid how much I was impacted by movies. Their worlds would be so real to me.  As long as I've known that the people in the movies were actors, I've known that's what I wanted to do. I want to be a part of these creations, these worlds that other people can lose themselves in. It just feels like my calling. I feel the most alive when I'm getting to act. It's like I don't just have this life to live, but I get to live many lives, in all these different worlds. I get to explore myself against several different backdrops. I honestly can't think of anything more beautiful and exciting. So in the grand scheme of things, none of the other stuff really matters. I'll take it all; all the stress, all the uncertainty, all the eye-rolls.  Because having this passion makes me feel like one of the luckiest people in the world. I get to do something I love more than anything else. I hope everyone has something that makes them feel this alive. And if you do, then you know why there isn't a choice, you must go after it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment